POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How much will PoVRay cost? : Re: How much will PoVRay cost? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:34:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How much will PoVRay cost?
From: Rick [Kitty5]
Date: 20 Mar 2002 17:42:34
Message: <3c99105a@news.povray.org>
> "Bringing POV-Ray and the IRTC to the public isn't cheap. In fact the
annual
> costs are enough to buy a brand-new car (and would be much more if it
> weren't for the generosity of our hosts). This server is a co-located
> machine (owned by a POV-Team member) connected to multiple OC-3's. It
moves
> an average of 15 gigabytes per day, split almost equally between POV-Ray
and
> the IRTC. Any difference between income from sales and the cost of the
> co-location comes out of the personal finances of a POV-Ray developer.
Since
> we give POV-Ray away for free sales of these products are the only means
we
> have of meeting our running costs."

exactly why commercial options should be explored, it is unfair to expect
any shortfall in income to be met by an individual developer.

Mugs & Keyrings are a short term soloution to a problem that is only going
to increase (in cost), and there will come a point when giving povray away
simply becomes to expensive. Best to tackle the difficult questions raised
by povray needing to finicially earn its keep in the long term now.

There are plenty of options for income that do not involve the
share\crippleware route.

--
Rick

Kitty5 WebDesign - http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources - http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - FAX : +44 (01270) 251105 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key